12.13.2010

Winter Wonderland

In case you haven't heard it snowed a little on Saturday. Not to mention it's about -10 outside and the Metrodome roof collapsed. Just a regular Minnesota day!!

It would figure that I've been home for the past couple weeks doing nothing and the one day I have something planned it's a blizzard outside. Needless to say we rescheduled, but we did get out yesterday.

Oh my goodness did it snow, and blow everywhere. I find it funny that there are spots in the backyard that have less snow now than they did before it snowed. The wind is funny like that. I'm not sure exactly how much snow we got. The highest total was 21.5 inches just southwest of us. I'm guessing we were in the 15-17 inch range. It's really hard to tell when the wind is blowing because we live on top of a hill and there aren't any trees or anything for shelter.

Here's a picture of our driveway Saturday night. As you can see there is a large area of the driveway that has no snow on it at all. But you can see the snowdrift that is in front of our garage is about 3 feet tall.



Here is what our front walk looked like before it took me an hour to shovel it.



I took this picture this morning of our front walk. You can barely see the tippy top of our little shrub/tree in the front. Funny thing is I picked out this particular plant for the front so we would have something green to look at during the winter.



Here's a picture I took in the cleared driveway space Saturday night. It was hard walking over that snow drift. Aren't the lights pretty though?



Here's the back yard as of this morning. You can see that our four foot fence has only about a foot left showing. It's also really hard to tell that the drift at the bottom of the picture we figure to be about 3 or 4 feet tall. The wind seemed to go around the playhouse and slide and there isn't much snow between the two drifts. Once the weather warms up a bit we're going to try and build the kids a little snow fort in the middle there somewhere. By we I also mean Zan. :)



I was outside shoveling Saturday evening for about 3 hours. I cleared in front of the two car garage and a path for one car to get through at the bottom of the driveway. Man that was a LOT of snow. Zan finished shoveling yesterday for about 3 hours too.

I can't believe how much snow we have for mid-December. I'm not sure where we're going to put the rest of it. The weather guy said that we currently have 2/3 of all the snow we usually get for the entire winter.

I really wish I could just stay inside today, but I have to run to the post office and the vet. Ugh and Zan took my car too, so it should be fun. And I mean fun like frozen fun. Yuck!

2 comments:

Grandma and Grandpa said...

We loved the snow pictures. I think I heard on the news that your storm was in the top five of worst storms for Minnesota. The Metrodome roof collapse was something else, but I am sure it won't help to get a new structure.
We also had a storm with about 1/2 the snow and a lot of wind. Was this the first real snowstorm for Ella and Sammy? Even tough you guys are in shape the snow shoveling can get tough so make sure you pace yourselves.

Cute picture of your shrub can hardly see it for the snow drift.

A snow fort sounds cool (in more ways then one), make sure we get to see pictures.

JoEllen said...

that is A LOT of snow! at least shoveling it is good exercise, lol!

everyone down here is whining because we're supposed to get another 2-4" on top of what little bit we already have. i'll take the snow, it's the ice that's the problem!